Last Updated on February 4, 2023 by Rebecca Lake
When you’ve got a pile of unwanted gift cards lying around, you might be wondering how to put them to good use. One option is to sell gift cards instantly online for quick cash.
Whether you have digital gift cards or physical gift cards that you don’t plan to spend, selling them online can be a great way to get free money in your bank account or PayPal account. If you’re not sure how to sell gift cards for cash, you’re in the right place.
Today, we’re sharing some of the best places to get instant cash for gift cards (digital and physical). We’ll also share a few ideas for how to get free gift cards that you can sell.
Need Some Extra Cash?
Survey Junkie. Get paid to share your opinions with Survey Junkie and earn up to $50 per survey! Join Survey Junkie now
Swagbucks. Want to get paid to play games, watch videos and surf the web? Join Swagbucks now and get a $5 bonus
Ibotta. Earn cashback when you shop with a top cashback app. Download Ibotta for up to $20 in cash bonuses!
InboxDollars. Take surveys with InboxDollars and earn money for your opinions. Join InboxDollars and start making extra cash!
Rakuten. Get paid to shop with Rakuten and earn up to 40% cashback! Join Rakuten and get a $10 cash bonus
GetUpside. Save money on gas with GetUpside! Earn $0.25 cents per gallon in cashback
CashApp. Want $5 free? Sign up for CashApp using code ‘VZXRXZN’ to claim your bonus!
How Can I Get Cash for Gift Cards Online Fast?
Selling gift cards for cash isn’t that difficult. You just need to find a site to list your cards on and a buyer who’s willing to pay your asking price.
Americans have an estimated $21 billion worth of gift cards collecting dust. The gift card industry has grown exponentially as more people choose them as a go-to gift option for friends, family members and coworkers during the holiday season and for other special occasions.
While the givers might be well-intentioned, that’s good money that’s just going to waste if they’re sitting in a junk drawer somewhere. If you can’t figure out a use for your gift cards, the next best option is to sell them for instant cash.
Here are a few tips to know when planning to sell gift cards instantly online:
- The gift card’s value can determine how much you’re able to sell it for.
- Your selling price might not be the full face value of the card.
- Some sites offer more value than others for unwanted gift cards.
- Depending on the site, you might be able to sell completely unused gift cards or used gift cards with a remaining balance.
- Gift cards that are in high demand from popular brands will sell faster, and you might be able to get more money for them.
- Sites that let you sell gift cards for instant cash might charge fees for that convenience.
- It might take a few business days for the money to actually hit your account.
- Selling physical cards online might mean you have to ship them to complete the transaction.
Here’s one more tip: Sites can pick and choose which cards or brands to accept. For example, some sites may not accept gift cards that have an expiration date.
How Does Selling Gift Cards Online for Cash Work?
You can sell gift cards online at gift card exchanges, via gift card resale apps or through an online marketplace that allows reselling. The best sites for selling gift cards make it easy to list them for sale and collect payment from buyers.
Some platforms offer you cash instantly for gift cards. You simply create an account using your email address and share the gift card details, including the brand it’s from and the value of your gift card.
The platform will make an instant offer, which you can accept or decline. If you accept, you can get paid instant cash once all the card details have been verified.
Other gift card exchanges allow you to list gift cards for sale. Potential buyers can then review your listings and make an offer, based on the gift card balance.
If a potential buyer makes a cash offer for your card, you can accept it or wait for another buyer who’s offering a better price. When someone buys your gift card, you’ll just need to take the next steps to get the card to them.
Some gift card reselling sites require you to mail in physical cards. Others will ask for the gift card number and PIN number, then use that information to send an e-gift card to the buyer.
Once the transfer is complete, you can get your money. Depending on which site you’re using, you might have these options for getting paid:
- Debit card
- Direct deposit into a bank account
- Deposit to a PayPal account
- Get a paper check in the mail
- Bitcoin or another cryptocurrency
Some sites also let you trade gift cards for other gift cards in lieu of instant payment to a bank account or PayPal.
Get $5 free from Cash App!
Use code VZXRXZN to sign up for Cash App and get your $5 bonus.
What Are the Most Popular Gift Cards to Sell for Cash?
There are lots of different gift cards you can sell but some might move faster than others or command higher prices. Some of the most popular stores and brands that are in high demand include:
- Amazon gift cards
- Visa, Mastercard and American Express
- Target gift card
- Walmart gift cards
- Nike and Adidas
- GameStop and Best Buy
- Home Depot, Lowe’s and other home improvement stores
- iTunes gift cards (perfect for anyone who loves to shop in the iTunes app store or the Apple Store!)
- Google Play gift cards
- Gaming gift cards, including Xbox Live, Roblox, Playstation and Steam
- Popular apparel brands like Banana Republic, American Eagle and Old Navy.
- Restaurant gift cards (think Chili’s, Red Lobster, Cheesecake Factory, Chick Fil A, Starbucks, etc.)
- Specialty gift cards for stores like Bed Bath & Beyond, Barnes & Noble or Bath & Body Works
- Entertainment gift cards (AMC Theaters, Regal Cinemas, Dave & Buster’s, etc.)
If you have any of these gift card brand names you might be able to sell them for cash online fairly quickly.
Where to Sell Gift Cards Instantly Online
Ready to get the most money possible for your unused gift cards? Let’s dig into the most popular websites that pay instant cash for gift cards.
Raise is a user-friendly platform for selling unwanted gift cards for cash or store credits. To use Raise, you search for your gift cards, list them for sale and get paid via check, direct deposit or PayPal once someone buys them.
You can enter your gift card information to get an idea of how much money you could get before listing it for sale. Raise is also transparent about what you’ll pay in fees.
|No listing fees|
Physical gift cards can be converted to egift cards
Good resale value
|15% seller fee applies once your card sells|
?Sell gift cards instantly online at Raise
CardCash allows you to sell unused gift cards for cash but you also have the option to exchange them for gift cards from other retailers. If you choose a gift card exchange, you can get up to 11% more value for your unwanted gift cards.
You can enter your card value to see how much it’s worth when selling it through the CardCash platform. CardCash pays up to 92% of the card’s value and you can get paid via check, ACH deposit or PayPal.
|High resale value for gift cards|
Get additional value for exchanging gift cards instead
Wide variety of retail and restaurant cards are accepted
|Certain gift cards cannot be sold through the platform|
?Sell gift cards instantly online with CardCash
3. EJ Gift Cards
EJ Gift Cards makes it easy to sell unwanted gift cards. You simply search for the gift card brands you want to sell and enter the balance to get an offer.
If you’re happy with the amount you can accept the offer, verify the card details and get paid in cash. You also have the option to get paid in Bitcoin, which is a plus if you’re interested in investing in cryptocurrency.
|No need to wait for a buyer|
Get an upfront quote so you know exactly what you’ll earn
Decent variety of retail and restaurant cards are accepted
|Resale value is lower than other gift card exchanges|
?Sell gift cards instantly online with EJ Gift Cards
Gameflip is an online community for gamers and it’s also one of the easiest ways to sell unwanted gift cards for cash. You can sell any unused, prepaid and non-reloadable gift cards through the platform. Some of the most popular brands include Steam cards, Playstation, Xbox Live, Amazon, iTunes and Google Play cards.
You can list gift cards for free through the Gameflip website or mobile app. Once the buyer receives your gift card code and completes the transaction, money is deposited into your Gameflip wallet.
|No listing fees|
Physical gift cards can be converted to egift cards
Easy listing process
|Non-gaming gift cards may not sell as well here.|
?Sell gift cards instantly online at Gameflip
This website offers a fast and easy way to sell your gift cards online. You can sell digital gift cards and physical gift cards through QuickCashMI, though it’s up to you to decide how you want to deliver them to buyers.
You can enter your card information to get a quote before deciding whether you want to sell. In terms of how much value you can get, it’s around 50% to 60% for most cards.
|Sell physical or digital gift cards|
Choose between shipping cards and electronic delivery
Decent resale value
|Payments are made via check only|
?Sell gift cards instantly online at QuickCashMi
6. Gift Cash
Gift Cash buys unwanted gift cards for cash but you also have the option to get paid in cryptocurrency. You simply tell Gift Cash which cards you have to sell and you’ll get an instant offer.
If you’re happy with the value, you can accept the offer and share your card details. Once the card is verified you get paid.
|Multiple cash-out options, including cryptocurrency|
Gift cards accepted from more than 150 brands
Solid resale value for gift cards from popular brands
|Some retailer cards are not accepted here|
?Sell gift cards instantly online at Gift Cash
7. Gift Card Outlets
Gift Card Outlets is unique since you can name your own price when selling unwanted gift cards. You add all of the gift cards you want to sell and set an offer price. Gift Card Outlets then reviews your offer.
If your offer is accepted, you’ll need to share your payment information and gift card details. Once the card is verified, you get paid.
|Name your own price for gift cards|
No listing fees
Accepts gift cards for sale from a large number of popular brands
|Some cards may need to be mailed in|
?Sell gift cards instantly online at Gift Card Outlets
ClipKard is another online exchange where you can buy and sell gift cards. To sell your gift cards, you’ll need to specify which gift card brands you have and their value.
You’ll get an offer for your gift cards and if you decide to accept, you’ll need to mail in your cards. ClipKard gives you two options for payment: Cash deposit to PayPal or a paper check.
|No fees to sell gift cards|
Sell full or partial gift cards
Sellers can also earn rewards that are good for discounts on future purchases
|Requires you to mail in physical gift cards|
?Sell gift cards instantly online at ClipKard
Prepaid2Cash is one of the best app options that lets you turn your prepaid cards into instant cash. Once you download the app, you can create an account and enter your gift card or prepaid card information.
You simply scan your card with your mobile device and you can get money in your bank account in as little as 15 minutes. Prepaid2Cash offers up to 92% of gift card value.
|Fast cash deposits to your bank account|
Get cash for gift cards or prepaid cards
Great value for unwanted gift cards
|Some gift cards and prepaid cards are not accepted|
?Sell gift cards instantly online with Prepaid2Cash
CardSell is another mobile app that lets you turn unwanted gift cards into instant cash. The app does the heavy lifting for you, acting as a gift card exchange kiosk.
You download the app, then enter your gift card details. CardSell verifies your card details and exchanges them for cash.
Once the card’s been verified, you can get cash deposited into your PayPal account. It’s a simple, fast way to get rid of unused gift cards.
|Trade gift cards for cash without having to mail anything in|
Accepts gift cards from hundreds of retailers
Get paid within 48 hours
|Only available on the App Store|
?Sell gift cards instantly online with CardSell
Finally, here are a few sites that no longer purchase gift cards for cash:
- Card Kangaroo
- Gift Card Granny
- Gift Card Spread (GC Spread)
- Plastic Jungle
- Gift Card Rescue
GiftCardBin still buys gift cards but you can’t sell them online. Instead, you’ll need to visit a GiftCardBin location near you to sell your gift cards for instant cash.
Where else can you sell gift cards online for cash?
Gift card exchanges are some of the best options to sell gift cards instantly online. However, you’re not limited to the sites mentioned so far.
Here are a few other options for getting instant cash for gift cards:
- Facebook Marketplace
- Local Facebook bargain groups
Keep in mind that if you’re selling through a local online marketplace, it’s up to you to decide how to deliver the gift cards you’re selling.
If you opt to meet a buyer to deliver physical gift cards and collect payment, it’s a good idea to choose a safe, neutral location. For example, you might meet up at your local police station or fire department to make the hand-off.
Start making money with MyPoints! Want an easy way to earn extra cash? Earn MyPoints Rewards that you can redeem for cash or gift cards just for doing simple tasks. Sign up for MyPoints and get a $10 Amazon gift card!
What Else Can I Do With Unwanted Gift Cards?
Aside from selling your unused gift cards for cash, there are other ways you can put them to work. Here are a few ideas for ensuring that they don’t go to waste.
- Donate the gift card to your favorite charity
- Gift it to someone in need
- Exchange it for a different retailer’s gift card with someone you know
- Regift it for another special occasion
- Use the gift card to purchase things you can sell to make money
- Return the gift card to the retailer for cash (note that some brands may only offer store credits)
Of course, you could always save unwanted gift cards on the off-chance that you might use them later. Even if you don’t use them to buy something for yourself, you could always use them to purchase gifts for others once the holiday season rolls around.
How to Get Free Gift Cards to Sell Online for Cash
While you might receive gift cards as gifts, there are plenty of ways to get them online. The more gift cards you can rack up, the more you’ll have to sell for instant cash.
Here are some of the best ways to get free gift cards to sell.
- Online surveys. Many market research companies offer gift cards as a reward for participating in surveys online. Some of the most popular survey sites for earning gift cards include Swagbucks, Survey Junkie and Toluna.
- Sign-up bonuses. Many retailers offer gift cards as a welcome bonus when joining a rewards program or applying for their branded credit card. You can also find similar gift card promotions with restaurant rewards programs.
- Shopping portals. Some online shopping portals like Rakuten, Honey and MyPoints allow you to earn cashback in the form of gift cards by shopping through their links. You can also get a $10 welcome bonus when you join Rakuten and make your first qualifying purchase.
- Credit card rewards. Some credit cards offer rewards points that can be redeemed for gift cards to popular retailers. Keep in mind that redemption value for rewards is usually lower for gift cards, versus redeeming for cash or travel miles.
- Referrals. Some companies will offer gift cards as a reward for referring friends and family to their products or services. You might be able to find gift card referral programs for everything from internet service to insurance.
- Freelancing. Freelancing is an excellent way to make an extra $1000 a month or more and some sites offer gift cards as incentives for using them. For example, Fiverr offers a $100 gift card when you refer friends to the platform.
- Online games. Some online video games and apps will offer gift cards as a reward for completing in-game tasks or reaching certain levels. You can also earn free Amazon gift cards by playing games and watching videos at InboxDollars.
- Shop at Target. Target routinely offers free gift cards when you buy certain products. The amounts are small, usually $5 to $10, but that’s a simple way to pick up extra gift cards to sell during your weekly Target run.
- Take advantage of bonus promotions. Restaurants and retailers can offer gift card bonus deals, which is another way to get free gift cards. For example, if you buy $50 in gift cards, you might get a $10 gift card as a thank-you.
Get paid to shop with Rakuten?
Rakuten pays you real cash back when you shop partner stores in person or online. Join now for a $10 welcome bonus!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Where can I sell my gift card and get paid instantly?
You can sell gift cards for instant cash through gift card exchanges like CardCash and ClipKard. These websites allow you to sell your gift card for cash and the payment is typically issued instantly or within a few days. You can also list gift cards for sale through an online marketplace like eBay, Craigslist or Facebook.
How can I turn a gift card into cash immediately?
One way to turn a gift card into cash immediately is to sell it online to a gift card-buying website or app. These websites and apps will offer to buy your gift card at a discounted rate and then give you cash or payment through PayPal or direct deposit. Another option is to exchange it with a friend or family member for cash, which can help you avoid processing fees.
Can I sell my gift card for cash at Coinstar?
Coinstar is a company that operates self-service coin-counting kiosks across the country, with many machines located in supermarkets and other retail stores. At one time, you could sell gift cards for cash at Coinstar locations but that program has ended. You can, however, turn your extra coins into cash or gift cards at a Coinstar machine near you.
Final thoughts on where to sell gift cards instantly online
Selling gift cards that you don’t plan to use can be an easy way to put extra money in your pocket. When selling gift cards for instant cash online, it’s important to choose the right place to sell and to price your gift cards appropriately. Remember that buyers are more likely to be attracted to the best deals, so it’s a good idea to see what similar cards are selling for when setting your final offer price.
Need more money tips? Read these posts next:
- Sell Kids Clothes Near Me: Where to Sell Kids Clothes for Cash Fast!
- Best Things to Sell at a Pawn Shop (50+ Things You Can Pawn for Quick Cash)
- 22 Easy Things to Make and Sell for Money
- Pawn Shop Near Me: Free Pawn Shop Locator for Quick Cash