How Much Is 7 Figures?
Earning a seven-figure salary may seem like the answer to all your financial problems. But how much is 7 figures exactly when you’re talking about money?
In simple terms, 7 figures in money is any amount between $1 million and $9,999,999 million.
That’s the short answer to how much is 7 figures.
If you’re talking about an annual salary, seven figures is a high income. And if you’re referring to net worth, then anything in the 7-figure range generally means a lot of money.
I’ve discussed how much is 6 figures before and what it means to earn a six-figure salary. Today, I’m breaking down how much is 7 figures in money and sharing some examples of seven figure salary jobs.
Related post: How to Make $10K in a Week
Want to Make Extra Money?
- Survey Junkie. Get paid to share your opinions with Survey Junkie and earn up to $50 per survey! Join Survey Junkie now
- Swagbucks. Want to get paid to play games, watch videos and surf the web? Join Swagbucks now and get a $5 bonus
- Ibotta. Earn cash back when you shop with a top cashback app. Download Ibotta for up to $20 in cash bonuses!
- InboxDollars. Take surveys with InboxDollars and earn money for your opinions. Join InboxDollars now
- Rakuten. Get paid to shop with Rakuten and earn up to 40% cash back! Join Rakuten and get a $25 cash bonus
What Is a Figure?
A figure is a single number, also referred to as a digit. A single digit represents one figure.
That’s the answer to how much is 1 figure.
Say, for example, that you have $5,263 in your bank account. Each of those numbers–5, 2, 6 and 3–is a figure.
Or, say you earn a $40,000 annual income. To figure out the number of figures you’d just count the number of digits. So if you make this much you’d earn a five-figure salary.
As a general rule, anything that comes after a decimal point doesn’t count as a figure.
So going back to the first example, say your bank account balance is $5,263.14. Only the first four numbers before the decimal (and not the .14 cents) count as a figure.
Now, let’s discuss how much is 7 figures in general, how much is 7 figures in US dollars and what kind of money someone earning a seven figure income might bring in.
Related post: $15 an Hour Is How Much a Year?
How Much Is 7 Figures? And How Much is 7 Figures in Money?
What does seven figures mean? And is 7 figures a million?
Seven figures means seven digits. So it’s a number between 1,000,000 and 999,999,999.
Again, we only count the number of digits before the decimal to determine whether we have 7 figures or not. B
So how much is 7 figures in dollars?
Seven figures in money means $1 million dollars or more but less than $10 million. That’s 7 figures in US dollars.
For example, someone could have a seven figure balance in their bank account, a seven figure net worth or earn a 7 figures salary.
It would all mean the same thing: A number with seven digits.
How much is a 7 figure salary?
A seven figure salary means any amount from $1,000,000 to $9,999,999. That’s a 7 figure income earned on a yearly basis.
So again, if you’re asking how much is 7 figures when talking about money? the simple answer is a lot.
Someone making a seven figure income per year probably doesn’t struggle very much with how to save money. And they likely have plenty of financial freedom with a 7 figures salary.
How much is 7 figures a year? How much is 7 figures a month?
There’s a difference between earning $1 million and $9 million in yearly salary.
Let’s break it down by month. Someone who earns $1 million a year has a monthly income of $83,333.
That’s a lot of money. But someone who makes $9 million in yearly salary has a monthly salary of $750,000.
That’s a fairly large gap and it’s important to know that a seven-figure income doesn’t necessarily mean the same thing across the board.
Related post: Left Hand Itching? What Itchy Palms Mean for Your Money
What Jobs Pay 7 Figures?
The number of jobs that pay a seven-figure income is not as large a pool as the number of jobs that pay a six-figure income or a five-figure income. Earning a 6-figure salary is easier than earning a 7-figure salary.
But there are jobs that pay seven figures, $1 million or more, each year. Some examples of 7 figure salary jobs include:
- C-suite executives at large corporations (CEOs, CFOs, COOs, CIOs, etc.)
- Entrepreneurs and business owners
- Financial manager/financial services professionals (Wall Street stockbrokers, investment bankers, hedge fund managers, etc.)
- Professional athletes (or professional sports agents)
- Silicon Valley A.I. researchers
- Social media influencers (PewDiePie reportedly makes millions with his YouTube channel)
- Real estate broker or real estate agents that work in high volume markets like San Francisco or New York City
- Professional actors and actresses (including highly-paid voice over actors in the entertainment industry)
These are all very different career paths. But they’re all jobs with 7 figure salaries.
What these seven figure jobs have in common is that they either:
- Require special skills, talents or knowledge OR
- Need some kind of advanced training and education to pursue
And for some of them, you’ll need to be comfortable in the corporate world.
So who earns 7 figures in yearly income?
Here are a few examples of people who have jobs with seven figure salaries:
- Michelle Schroeder-Gardner is the blogger behind Making Sense of Cents and according to her most recent income reports, she earns around $1.5 million a year
- Graham Stephan makes over $1 million dollars a year from his YouTube channel where he talks about real estate and personal finance
- Lee “Faker” Sang-hyeok is a pro-gamer who makes $1 million+ in annual income playing video games (one of many people making seven figures a year playing esports)
- Kelly Lester, a stay-at-home mom, developed a bento lunchbox business that makes seven figures annually
- Sarah Titus makes seven figures a year selling printables in her Shopify store
All of them are making a good living doing things they love, using skills they already had or developed along the way.
How Much Is 8 Figures? What Are Some 8-Figure Jobs?
Eight figures means a number with 8 digits. In terms of money, an eight-figure salary is any amount of money between $10,000,000 and $99,999,999.
People who earn eight-figure salaries are at an income level the vast majority of Americans never reach. (The median household income in the United States is $79,900.)
Someone who makes that amount of money most often has one of these eight-figure jobs:
- Professional athletes
- Professional sports agents
- Entertainment industry members (i.e. actors, actresses, directors, producers, agents, etc.)
- CEOs and business owners who’ve managed to build highly profitable companies
- Social media influencers who’ve managed to turn themselves into a best-selling brand
- Website owners
- YouTube channel owners
So who makes 8 figures in income?
According to the latest Forbes list of the richest people, celebrities who are eight figure earners include:
- Tyler Perry ($97 million in annual income)
- LeBron James ($88.2 million earned)
- Dwayne Johnson ($87.5 million)
- James Patterson ($80 million in yearly income)
- Ariana Grande ($72 million)
- Gordon Ramsay ($70 million earned)
- Jonas Brothers ($68.5 million)
- Tiger Woods ($62.3 million)
- Vin Diesel ($54 million)
- BTS ($50 million)
- David Copperfiled ($46 million)
- Lin-Manuel Miranda ($45.5 million in yearly income)
- Jackie Chan ($40 million)
- Kevin Hart ($39 million)
- Serena Williams ($36 million)
Earning 8 figures is a lot of money. And someone who makes an eight figure salary likely has a high net worth.
But there are some people making even more money than that!
Related post: Old Money vs New Money: What’s the Difference?
How Much Is 9 Figures? What Jobs Pay 9 Figures?
Nine figures means any number with nine digits. How much is 9 figures in money? It means any amount of money between $100,000,000 and $999,999,999.
For most people, that’s an unimaginable amount of money. But there are real people out there who make nine figures in yearly income.
So what jobs pay 9 figures salary? The pool is fairly small and includes:
- Hedge fund managers
- CEOs of well-known companies
- Professional athletes
- Musicians and entertainers
In terms of who makes a nine-figure salary, some of the richest people on the list include:
- Kylie Jenner ($590 million)
- Kanye West ($170 million)
- Roger Federer ($106.3 million)
- Cristiano Ronaldo ($105 million)
- Lionel Messi ($104 million)
In Kylie Jenner’s case, she made a significant chunk of her nine-figure income by selling off part of her cosmetics firm. In the case of Kanye West, he earned a large part of his income from an endorsement deal with Adidas.
How Much Is 10 Figures? Who Earns a 10 Figures Salary?
Ten figures means 10 digits or single numbers. In money, 10 figures means any amount from $1,000,000,000 to $9,999,999,999.
Someone who makes a ten figures salary is a billionaire, as they’re earning $1 billion a year at the low end.
There are no easy ways to get to this income level without inheriting wealth or winning a huge lottery payout.
It’s pretty difficult to find a job that will pay you a billion dollars a year. If you want to have a 10-figure job you may have to create it yourself.
That’s what some of the world’s best-known billionaires have done. Some of the most notable people earning a 10 figure salary (and then some) running their own companies include:
- Bill Gates ($4 billion+ in yearly income)
- Elon Musk ($6.6 billion in annual salary)
- Jack Ma (the Alibaba founder is reported to make around $4 billion each year)
You’ll notice that Jeff Bezos and Mark Zuckerberg aren’t included on this list. That’s because both receive a base salary from Amazon and Facebook (now Meta).
But each of them has a massive net worth and an astronomical amount of wealth, making them top earners.
Someone making that kind of money may have few worries about their finances. And in case you’re wondering if it’s possible to get rich from nothing and achieve that level of wealth, the answer is yes.
Oprah Winfrey is a prime example of someone who was born into poverty but reached billionaire status.
What About Smaller Figures?
Aside from knowing how much is 7 figures, 8 figures, 9 figures or 10 figures, it’s also helpful to understand what smaller figures mean in terms of money.
Specifically, you might be interested in how much is 3 figures, 4 figures or 5 figures.
How much is 3 figures?
Three figures means any number with three digits, or any number from 100 to 999.
In terms of money, $100 is an example of a three-digit or three-figures number. At the highest end, $999 is three figures.
So is three-figures a lot of money?
It depends on how you look at it.
To someone who earns $500 a month, for example, 3 figures income may not be much money at all. Unless they’re just making extra money with a side hustle and their goal is to earn that amount.
But if you’re making $999 a week, which is a three-figure paycheck, that adds up to $4,329 in monthly income. In yearly income, it’s just shy of $52,000 a year.
Some jobs that might produce a three-figures paycheck weekly include:
- Dog walker
- Fast food worker
- Retail clerk
- Food delivery driver
- Instacart shopper
- Sales rep
- Server or hostess
- Online survey taker
Related post: 35 Legit Side Hustles That Pay $1,000+ Each Month
How much is 4 figures?
Four figures is a number with four digits, ranging from 1,000 to 9,999. In money, four figures is any amount between $1,000 and $9,999.
Is four figures a lot of money? Again, it really depends on your perspective.
Someone earning a four-figure annual salary is below the federal poverty guidelines for the United States.
If you earn less than $10,000 a year and that’s your sole source of income, you may be living on an extremely tight budget.
But if you’re working a part-time job or side hustle to supplement your household income, then earning four figures may be more than enough to grow your emergency savings or pay off debt.
Many of the jobs that pay a four-figure yearly salary are the same ones mentioned in the previous discussion of how much is 3 figures.
So your options for earning 4 figures in money may include part-time jobs or side gigs that don’t require special skills or a college degree.
Related post: 50+ Creative Ways to Make 100 Dollars a Day
How much is 5 figures?
Five figures means five single numbers or digits. A five-figure number is any number from 10,000 to 99,999. In money, five figures means $10,000 to $99,999.
When you’re talking about a five figure number for income, you’re generally in the neighborhood of what most people in the U.S. make each year.
Jobs that pay a figure-figure salary may or may not require an associate’s degree or bachelor’s degree. Some require trade school or vocational learning. Others are freelance jobs that you can do as an independent contractor.
People who make 5 figures in yearly income are everyday people, rather than celebrities.
They’re your mailman, next-door neighbor, your child’s teacher or your favorite teller at the bank. And you might even earn a five-figure salary yourself.
Here are some jobs that pay five figures a year in median salary, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics:
- Physical therapy assistants ($49,970)
- Property appraisers and assessors ($58,650)
- Flight attendants ($59,050)
- Social workers ($51,760)
- Landscape architects ($70,730)
- Underwriters who work for insurance companies ($71,790)
- Registered nurses ($75,330)
- Dental hygienists ($77,090)
- Web developer ($77,200)
Some of these five-figure salary jobs do require an associate’s degree; others require a bachelor’s degree instead. Which makes sense, since many of them are in the medical field.
But some 5 figures jobs don’t need a college degree at all.
For example, you can get an entry-level job as a transportation inspector with a high school diploma or its equivalent. The median yearly pay for this job is just over $78,000.
Related post: 10 Best Side Hustles for Earning $10,000 a Month
How Much Is 6 Figures in Money?
By now, you know how much is 7 figures. Earning seven figures in income might be out of reach for most people. But a 6-figure salary could be more realistic.
How much is 6 figures? It’s six numbers or digits. In money, six figures means $100,000 to $999,999.
That works out to a monthly income of anywhere from $8,333 to $83,333 which is a lot of money for most people.
All six figure incomes aren’t the same though. Here’s how the 6-figure salary range breaks down:
- $100,000 to $399,999 is a low six-figure range income
- $400,000 to $699,999 would put you in the middle six figures
- $700,000 to $999,999 means you earn a high six figure income
But overall, six figures is well above the average salary in the U.S. And earning that amount of money could certainly make it easier to reach your financial goals.
What does six figures get you?
What a six-figure income gets you depends largely on your cost of living and spending habits.
Someone who lives in San Francisco or New York is likely going to have a harder time making $100,000 stretch when you factor in rent, transportation and food costs.
Higher prices and a rising cost of living can wipe out a good salary pretty quickly.
Meanwhile, someone who lives in a small town that has a low cost of living may be able to live very well on a six figure salary.
The important thing about earning six figures is what you do with it.
High income alone doesn’t guarantee that you’ll be financially well off if you have expensive tastes or struggle with overspending and budgeting, regardless of how cheap your rent or mortgage payment is.
Bottom line? Good money management skills matter for making the most of a six-figure income.
What are some 6 figure jobs?
There are a number of career paths you can follow to earn a 6-figure income. Some of the top jobs that pay $100,000 or more in yearly salary include:
- Software developer ($110,140)
- Actuaries ($111,030)
- Physician assistants ($115,390)
- Human resources manager ($121,220)
- Pharmacist ($128,110)
- Air traffic controller ($130,420)
- Commercial pilot ($130,440)
- Financial manager ($134,180)
- Podiatrists ($134,340)
- Advertising, promotions and marketing managers ($141,490)
- Dentist ($164,010)
Not surprisingly, many of the highest paying 6-figure income jobs are in the medical field. But attorneys, scientists and engineers can also pull in a six figures annual salary.
Here’s what is surprising: Not all of these 6-figure jobs require a college degree.
You can become a commercial pilot, for example, and make six figures a year with nothing more than a high school diploma and the appropriate flight training.
Six-figure jobs that don’t require a college degree
There are many jobs that pay six figures in income but don’t require an associate’s degree, bachelor’s degree or advanced degree. But they may require special knowledge, experience or training (i.e. flight school for a commercial pilot).
If you’re interested in how to make six figures without a college degree or experience, the best way to do it may be to start your own business. This can spare you the hassle of trying to climb the corporate ladder or get a full-time job.
I know this is possible because it’s what I did.
I had a small freelance writing side hustle for a long time as a stay at home mom. When I became a single parent, I decided to scale my hustle into a business.
Within two years, I’d made it to the $100,000 a year mark in income. Two years after that, I doubled my income to $200,000+ in yearly salary.
So it can be done. The key is choosing the right type of business to start.
If you’re looking for some ideas on how to make a 6-figure income with your own business, be sure to check out these guides:
- How to Become a Virtual Assistant With No Experience (in 8 Simple Steps!)
- How to Become a Proofreader and Make $100K/Year From Home
- Get Paid to Write Online: 20 Awesome Websites That Pay $50 to $2000
- How to Make Money From Home as a Stella and Dot Stylist
- Get Paid to Type: 20 Best Online Transcription Jobs for Beginners
You could also look for ways to generate passive income in the six-figure range, though this usually means doing some hard work upfront.
For example, there are bloggers like Amira at A Self Guru and Debbie at The Flooring Girl who make six figures in largely passive income. But it took them time to develop their audience and products first.
The great thing about blogging is that you can develop multiple streams of income. Some of the income streams you might have as a blogger include:
- Sponsored posts
- Selling digital or physical products
- Coaching or consulting
- Offering freelance services
- Earning commissions from affiliate links
- Running ads (the easiest way to make money blogging, IMO)
If you’re interested in making money with a blog, check out this ultimate guide to starting a profitable blog.
Final thoughts on how much is 7 figures
Knowing how much is 7 figures and what jobs pay a 7-figure income can put your own income and financial situation in perspective. And it may be a motivator to find different ways to increase your own income.
Before you go, be sure to check out my favorite Smart Money Tools for making and saving money.
Need more ideas for making money on the side? Head here for all of my favorite money-making ideas in one place!